- Tiny Health
- 🎯 Evidence-based, microbiome health strategies for new guts
- 🧑🎨 Progressive web app design and development on React and Amplify
- Talk Social
- 🎯 Rekindling society through playful, remote conversations
- 🧑🎨 End-to-end guest experience design & front-end React development
- 🎯 Streamlining work in a reluctantly remote-first world
- 🧑🎨 Product ideation focused on evoking team flow state
- 🎯 A fresh look at collaboration for institutional finance squads
- 🧑🎨 Interface design and development in React, Typescript, & Hasura
- A snappy blog about the yin to business' yang and the easy way forward
- 👷 + Sanity + + Vercel
- A friendly, graphic, interactive paean to the I Ching
- 👷 Vue 3 + Firebase + PostCSS + Netlify
- Kerrbear's Den
- Somewhere to call home
- 👷 +
- Where we hang the big questions out in the breeze
- 👷 Svelte Kit · mdsvex · PostCSS + Netlify
- A zettelkasten-style digital garden of second brain droppings
- 👷 + MDX + Theme UI + Netlify
- Musings about the spirit we share
- 👷 Hugo + 🍦ES6 + Forestry CMS
- Dev Folio
- This silly place
- 👷 🍦JS + Github Pages + Sass
Today I offer my services as a devsign consultant to startups and early-stage ventures looking for lift and direction. This foray into freelance, which began in 2015, allows me to draw on a lifetime of experience as an entrepreneur and a decade on the path of mastery as a developer and designer for web and wonder.
In the midst of the present span of consulting, I helped to start Arrivo, a Los Angeles-based hyperloop engineering firm. We assembled an all-star squad of rocket scientists, fusion engineers, infrastructure wonks, financial magicians, and the like. As the Majordomo, I wore many hats, at times running Operations, Facilities, and IT, all the while composing a 10,000-year timeline of transportation technology for 7-foot touchscreens. Hyperloops can be somewhat circuitous to build.
Before this I led experience design for three years for SolarCity, now Tesla Solar and then the largest residential solar energy provider in the US. At SolarCity I found myself building a team who was building the world’s first DIY home solar energy system design and power bill estimator flow for homeowners and sofa surfers. We called it Dynamo; it was super rad.
Prior to SolarCity, I devsigned and product managed in the skunkworks at Disney Interactive for a couple of years. Two of our prototypes have since become Disney+ and Magic Bands. There I also designed an AR collectible game that presaged Niantic’s Pokemon Go! by three years.
I landed there because Disney acquired the second startup I help to found, Togetherville. At Togetherville we brought the safe, social web to kids and their families, allowing kids to be themselves with their real friends online in 2011. This was before many folks had found Facebook. Eight years later, Facebook produced Messenger for Kids which is basically Togetherville.
Long before I knew what a startup was, I attempted (with my parents’ encouragement) a number of small businesses in my childhood home of Rockford, Illinois, the longest running and most successful of which painted house addresses on the curb in front of our neighborhood homes. At five dollars a pop for a five minute job, this was rather lucrative work for a ten-year-old walking around with a wagon full of spray paint.
In a past life (okay, this one) I became an intellectual property attorney in Portland, Oregon specializing in digital copyright, collaboration, and information technology innovation. This fed into my first startup, Third Prime, an industrial design agency for play and wellness. And prior to that I matriculated with dual bachelors in Maths and Economics at the University of Illinois in Urbana Champaign.
Born in Rockford, Illinois, at age three, a TV commercial for Big Sur waterbeds between Sesame Street episodes hypnotized me into following my manifest destiny to California, where I now reside with my young family on the shores of Monterey Bay.
Throughout these adventures my roles have been manifold while I perform my core function: to usher us back to the world of ease, play, and bliss we left behind when we started believing the story of separation. Frequently I embody the glue, the water spider, or the generalist connecting specialists to maintain balance and harmony as momentum builds and our shared vision coalesces.
Each day I focus on bringing ease, harmony, play, gratitude, and joy to realms of mass suffering by giving pause, making space, and listening to the echoes emanating from the bottomless well of being seated at the root of heart center.